Thursday 17 March 2016

Broccoli & Stilton Soup - Crosse & Blackwell

soup
suːp/
noun
  1. 1.
    a liquid dish, typically savoury and made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables etc. in stock or water.
    "a bowl of tomato soup"
  2. 2.
    a substance or mixture regarded as resembling soup in appearance or consistency.
    "the waves and the water beyond have become a thick brown soup"
verb
informal
  1. 1.
    increase the power and efficiency of an engine or other machine.
    "a souped-up Ford with big rear wheels"


Today I wanted to understand the word 'soup' correctly so I turned to Google, good old Google definitions. It's so brilliant its pulled up the informal usage of the word - 'souped-up' - Makes me think of a teenage chatting about how sick their car is. Surely this is a urban dictionary term?
Anyway on to the soup... I have chosen a can of broccoli and stilton soup made by Crosse & Blackwell. I cant say I have ever tried this brand before, but today it caught my eye, partly because of the flavour but more importantly it won a Good Housekeeping award! AND it's celebrating the best of British by using British produce. I am always sold by products that support home grown ingredients instead of ones that have been imported from Australia, and been frozen for a billion years. Eat British is what I say, support the country you live in by buying produce made by people local to you. I know this can't always be a choice, but when it is, why not?


The verdict:

Good god! Who in their right mind gave that an award?! Seriously. From the moment I opened this deceivingly good looking can I was sure this wasn't going to end well. It was like pouring out moldy angel delight into my bowl. It wobbled like jelly and smelt like death. I hoped this would all be forgotten upon tasting... Nope, still awful! I've eaten stilton and broccoli soup before and its been a pleasant experience, that may have been because it was homemade. But still, surely an award wining soup shouldn't be so disturbingly bad.It tasted sour and musty, the broccoli had no flavour at all, they were mushy green chunks covered in the sour stilton, I think the broccoli may have actually been decaying. I cant see any goodness in this soup. I better stop my ranting there as I think you get the picture.


Souper rating: 0.5 out of 5 - That half a point is purely for the brand design, other than that I wouldn't even eat this if the world was ending and I had one can left to survive off. Sorry Crosse & Blackwell. 



No comments:

Post a Comment