Friday 18 March 2016

Maris Piper Potato & Leek Soup - New Covent Garden Soup Co.

It's Friday and I'm feeling fresh! Can't wait for the working week to be over, it's been a tough one...
But that doesn't matter as it's Souper time! Time to get my soup on and try another delight. Today I have chosen a potato and leek soup made by New Covent Garden Soup Co. I'm usually satisfied with this range. The ingredients used are always fresh tasting and in abundance. As it's Friday I really don't want to be disappointed so I decided paying a bit more than usual and going for a classic flavour from their range.
I love a good leek and potato soup, it makes you feel all warm and comforted inside. I always find its great when you having a really sickie day and cant stomach meat or anything to tasking.
Before I get tasting I wanted to gain some really important knowledge, get a bit more educated about soup... so i Googled - 'who invented soup?' - This is what I got...

Doctor John T. Dorrance, a chemist with the Campbell Soup Company, invented condensed soup in 1897. Today, Campbell's Tomato, Cream of Mushroom, and Chicken Noodle Soup are three of the most popular soups in America.

I never thought about this sort of thing, but it turns out its actually very interesting. The fact soup was invented by a doctor makes me think about the link between craving soup when you are ill or under the weather... maybe this is the connection? Maybe this is where the association started? Should I add this to Wiki? Too far me thinks.


The verdict:

I can definitely say I feel comforted this lunchtime, be it a little sleepy now, but definitely fulfilled. It's exactly what it says on the box, potato and leek. It's got a subtle flavour which could do with a little more salt, but the pepper makes up for that loss. The peppery tones work really well with the potato adding a bit of a kick to the taste. The basic simplicity of this soup make it. There's little to no gimmicks and it straight to the point - leek and potato - like it or lump it.


Souper rating: 4 out of 5 - Pure comfort in a bowl! A joyous soup, but when a sprinkle of salt is added it turns your new best friend... that you can eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment