Tuesday 1 March 2016

Beef Broth Soup - Heinz

Soup soup soup! Some people think I'm mad just eating soup everyday, but I just don't see the madness, maybe because I'm mad already, or maybe it's just because I'm mad about soup. It's all too much madness!!
Today's souper treat was bought whilst I was en route to work, from a Tesco express. I was really surprised by what they had to offer, there was such limited stock. Yet right opposite there was rows and rows of every kind of crisp you could imagine. I know in the grand scheme of things crisps are probably a lot more popular than soup, but surely that's because the demure soup isn't given the chance it deserves... Never the less I had a few to choose from. The only brand on offer was Heinz, the original canned soup provider. I wasn't over enthralled by this as I was hoping to try something different today. Oh well Heinz it is! I chose a beef broth, I know this is a broth but it says soup on the can too. I don't really know the difference between the two so I turned to good, old, reliable Wiki;

Broth is a liquid food preparation, typically consisting of water, in which bonesmeatfishcereal grains, or vegetables have been simmered.[1] Broth is used as a basis for other edible liquids such as soupgravy, or sauce. It can be eaten alone or with garnish. If other ingredients are used, such as ricepearl barley or oats, it is then generally called soup.

So there you have it. Soup started off life as a broth. Thank the Lord for broth! 


The verdict:

Heinz you did it again! Nom! 
This turned out to be a great lunch, this wonderfully warming broup (broth/soup) has proved it will keep the wolves from the door until dinner time. 
It had a fantastic rich flavour, with tasty pieces of carrot and potato, perfectly seasoned. You can really tasty the broth too, there isn't chunks of beef but that's not what I was expecting. What I was expecting is just what I got. A bold beefy flavour that developed with every mouthful. To top it all off the presence of the notorious pearl barley was actually a pleasant touch. Sometimes I find pearl barley can be really starchy and turn squidgy, or taste like you are having sugar puffs, but just the puffs, not the sugar. 


Souper rating: 4 out of 5 - Good soup, I just think there's a little to many of those puffy barley things. Thanks again Heinz! 

No comments:

Post a Comment