Monday 22 February 2016

Carrot & Parsnip Soup - Morrisons

Happy Monday! Here's to a fresh week full of positivity!
Over the weekend I really slobbed out, I was self loathing, and to try and make myself feel better I ate a whole bag of mini eggs. I couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling great about myself... I then turned to Facebook for some comfort. It was here I read a quote from The Body Coach - "You won't win everyday. Just don't let a bad day of eating become a bad week. Wake up, reset and go again 🔥💪🏽😀" - This was just the pick me up I needed, it's given me the motivation to forget about the mini eggs and think about the week ahead.
So today I have chosen to go for a can of Morrisons own brand carrot and parsnip soup. I have never had a Morrisons soup, nor have I ever had the pleasure of trying a carrot and parsnip soup. Every time I go to type the name of this soup I instantly want to put, ... and coriander, that's the common pairing for a carrot soup, right? However, I am very intrigued to say the least, I love parsnips in all forms so this should be a treat!


The verdict:

Considering I'm not feeling particularly hungry as I'm trying to think thin, this is a very filling soup, its not the thoughts, its definitely the soup.
I was a little dubious at first, as when I opened the can it looked a cross between lumpy sick and baby food. Then as I poured the can, I pretty much felt the same about it. But like they say, "the proof is in the pudding", or in this case... the soup.
Its was actually quite nice, a sweet peppery flavour, enhanced by the weirdly small chunks of parsnip. It actually reminded me of carrot and swede mash my mum would make when I was a kid. The creaminess really adds to the taste of this soup, it really stands out in the after taste making you feel all warm and satisfied inside. 
This really is a nice soup, I'm very surprised to be honest. As shocked as I sound, I think this boils down to brand misconception. My mental image of Morrisons own food is that it's cheap, and made full of cheap produce, I can safely say I'm wrong. I would happily eat this soup again. 
The only downfall for this soup is the lumps, it really could do without them. I also think if a soup is meant to be put through a blender then it shouldn't have any bits, it should be smooth and stick to its guns and stay true to its blended self. And likewise for a chunky soup, it should be full of big bold pieces and have a bite to it. 


Souper rating: 3.5 out of 5 - Its a really tasty soup once you get past the mental image of yourself throwing up a bowl and the eating it.



No comments:

Post a Comment