Tuesday 2 February 2016

Lentil & Bacon soup - Heinz

Back to the daily grind... After my wondrous Cornish weekend away I am back to work on this fine sunny Tuesday! I feel refreshed and mega excited for today's souper treat!

I have gone for an old classic today, Lentil & Bacon. I haven't had this soup in years, maybe even as long as a decade. But something inside me is saying 'I want lentils'. I chose to go with the Heinz variety, I feel this will be the safe bet seeing as they are the most well known soup brand in the world, and the lentils wont be too baby food like, will they?


The verdict:

Well, I feel relatively fulfilled, not over enthralled or balled over by this soup, but just OK. I think I had a mental expectation of the lentils being in the form of a Indian Daal consistency, this was not the case. The texture of the soup was mushy and wobbly, this was the initial feeling I got when it was sat in my confused mouth. I shouldn't of been too surprised by this, as at first glance when I poured the contents of the can into my bowl it resembled a mixture of baby food and regurgitated sick. 
I'm not one to give up too easily so I continued to eat this congealed concoction. Once heated up the soup changed, slightly, the wobbliness loosened up. The flavours are subtle and heart warming, the bacon actually tastes like bacon and is an pleasant salty delight. The lentils and chunks of carrot still have a bite to them and help add variety to this predominately split yellow pea soup. This is definitely a classic traditional soup.


Souper rating: 2.5 out of 5 - This definitely an acquired taste. If you can get over the gelatinous texture and you are feeling a little under the weather, then you will probably enjoy this. Unfortunately I wont be in a hurry to buy this again any time soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment