Friday 12 February 2016

Mushroom Soup With Wholegrain Black Rice - Yorkshire Provender

Well I've made it to Friday thank God! This week feels like it's gone on for ages, it's been one of those weeks... whatever that saying actually means. To me it means it's been long, tedious, full of running around and feeling like I've not actually ever slept in my whole life (I know that's impossible, I'm being a drama queen).
So you maybe able to tell that this week hasn't been great. I am being a ray of sun shine today... whatever, let's just hope my souper lunchtime will perk me up!
I have decided to go for another soup from the Yorkshire Provender range. I loved the one I had the other day so much that I am hoping this perfectly portioned soup will help me get through the next 3 and a half hours of my day. The souper flavour of choice is mushroom and wholegrain black rice. I wouldn't usually go for a soup which is primarily mushroom as too much of mushroom can be a very over powering flavour, but with this being from the same range as the souper hit Yorkshire Provender, I thought it must be a good one. It has all the right highlights, it's gluten free, full of natural goodness, vegetarian friendly, and the whole pot is one of my 5 a day...SOLD! Sold for £1.50, - a bit higher than I'd like to pay for a soup but it's Friday so I'm allowing it.


The verdict:

Why isn't it 5.30 pm yet?! Can you tell this soup has not helped? I don't want to completely write it off as I am still trying to eat it... well force it down. I should have gone with my instincts - mushroom soups should not be eaten at lunchtime or on their own. Even though the black rice adds texture and is perfectly cooked with that added bite, the mushroom is still too over powering. It's not only the taste that's not very pleasant, it's the look and smell too. 
It resembles what I can only describe as frogs spawn. I don't know why this didn't put me off in the first place. The grey, gungy consistency mixed with pearl sized lumps of black spawn rice really doesn't work for a soup. And the smell, oh God the smell... it's all too much. As I ate this soup it felt like I was being slapped in the face with a dirty old sports sock, but I guess that was the cheese showing its ugly, badly used self in this situation. Don't get me wrong I love a good cheese, but this combination is not working. In fact it's making me feel physically sick the more I think about it being digested in my stomach. 
I would love to know who in their right mind created this and said "Yes, That's a tasty soup, lets mass produce it and sell it!"


Souper rating: 1 out of 5 - 1 for branding. Its just awful, and that's not just because I've had a bad week, its a genuinely awful tasting soup. Sorry Yorkshire Provender but i'll stick to the chicken.



No comments:

Post a Comment