Tuesday 16 February 2016

Minestrone Soup - Heinz

It's Lunchtime! Which means it's soup time!
I'm actually really looking forward to having soup today seeing as my routine was rudely interrupted by work trying to better my skills. I'm not bitter, I thoroughly enjoyed my training in the big smoke. I just missed having my warm bowl of soup, and the 20 minutes of typing a poorly written blog.
Today I have chosen one of the Heinz classic variety, minestrone soup. I do like a good minestrone soup, although, I can say I have never tried the Heinz variety, so I will be able to compare it mentally to ones I have had in the past.
Minestrone to me is something people either love or hate. When I first asked a friend what they thought about minestrone they said it was a watery, bland soup that really isn't worth wasting time over... This point was soon proven wrong.
I moved house roughly a year ago near to a village called Hartley Wintney, it was here that I realised minestrone doesn't have to be the way my friend described. The local Italian restaurant (Bellini) serve minestrone as the house soup, and its absolutely delicious! Its a wonderfully lightly spiced soup full of vegetables, beans, and tiny pieces of cute looking pasta all in a perfectly seasoned broth.
I never usually order soup in restaurants, I save them for the working week. But on this occasion something inside me said "try the soup, try a true Italian soup". One of the best decisions I ever made.


The verdict:

I think I am going to stick to either making my own minestrone soup, or ordering it from my local Italian. It was an acceptable tasting soup, nothing truly awful about it. It just didn't wow me, and to be honest it didn't feel satisfying. 
The consistency is very runny, not watery, but runny. It felt like there was no real bite to it unless you got a piece of veg or a bean. Granted it was full of 'bits', but these bits were not very appealing, nor did they look it. The soup tasted like someone had mixed a can of baked beans with a can of tomato spaghetti, then threw in a handful of cheap frozen mixed veg. Oh and a hand full of old dried out mixed herb leaves. It just isn't comparable to the minestrone's I've had in the past, whether that be from a restaurant or a fresh tub from the supermarket.


Souper rating: 2.5 out of 5 - I'm not really sure this should be called a minestrone soup, but who am I? I'm not part of the soup police, I'll leave it up to the experts to name a soup so I can just approve or criticise.  


No comments:

Post a Comment